Saturday, May 28, 2011

D.C. in real life

I have started my job, at the Melting Pot in Arlington, and I start at AWI on Tuesday.  I quickly transitioned from tourist to I’m actually living here.  However, the tourist has not been completely lost yet.  I packed a lunch and rode my bike down to the Capitol today and enjoyed a wonderful wine lunch while people watching.  I was even dubbed “a local” by a set of middle school girls on a scavenger hunt.  (OK, not so much “local” as “Look she is eating lunch on the lawn, maybe, she actually lives here.  Let’s go ask.”)   Apparently only people who live in the area pack lunches and eat on the lawn of the Capitol.  I smiled for the picture they had to take with my tomato and spinach salad, and my banana. 

The boys and I ventured to Shaw Dog Park again this morning.  With it being a Saturday there were a number of dogs there.  It’s truly amazing how engaging people are, and the fact that they actually listen.  I had a long talk with a gentleman who works for WeighWatchers, and he was over the moon to hear of what I was here for and what area of law I would like to go into.  Strauss even warmed up to him (after the man threw the ball 8,000,000 times, of course) but if you know Strauss, well, you know he likes who he likes and if you are not in the circle of trust, well, in his world you don’t exist. 

I successfully chased down my first bus today.  It had left a minute early and there was no way in hell I was waiting 20 minutes for the next bus to come through.  On the weekends, everything slows down, except for Michelle, if her bus is pulling away.  I screamed and yelled and waved my arms.  But, you see, the trick is to beat on whatever part of the bus you can reach.  He stopped and I made it home at 12:07 instead of 12:58.  Score. 

Total stream of consciousness is going on tonight.

"Do not bring people in your life who weigh you down. And trust your instincts ... good relationships feel good. They feel right. They don't hurt. They're not painful . . . Who's in your life, and do you respect them, and do they respect you? And are you respecting them?”
                                                -Michelle Obama

I’m inserting this quote because I’m missing my partner, my lover, my friend.  (Amongst a few other very special people in my life.)  But in all reality I miss him terribly.  Long distance relationships are not for the weak.  And in truth, we have been doing this for a while; however, there is something markedly different about having one state that separates you, and having five states that separates you.  Call me a whiner, or remind me that it’s only a few months, whatever.  I made a choice to surround myself with great people, him being the number one. 

Oh, let’s all cross our fingers in hopes that DSoL’s namesake actually reads my email requesting a tour of the White House.  Congressman Duncan, Michelle really, really, really, really wants to see the White House. 

On the agenda for tomorrow is the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, “America’s Catholic Church.”  The National Shrine is the largest Catholic Church in North America and Canada, and in the top ten largest churches in the world.  I shall report back as to how it compares to the National Cathedral. 

Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment