Friday, August 19, 2011

Tap into the moral universe

As written on July 20, 2011

Sunday morning I met up with Steven for a final National Park Service bike tour.  The Federal City was designed with the intentions of the pillars that the framers of the Constitution established the United States of America on: freedom, tolerance, and education.  Education which leads to tolerance, which in turn leads to freedom. 

The Federal City was designed to allow for free education.  It was designed with unity in mind.  A unity that transcends this country.  A unity that all life forms should be free.  For the arc of the moral universe bends towards justice.  I have tapped into this moral universe.  Are we not all citizens of the universe pushing the envelope towards justice and unity?

I have this internal strife.  And I sent myself into a full on tailspin this summer.  I sought this adventure out and I’m grateful, so very grateful.  But I question if I am strong enough to handle it.  Can I take what I knew before I got here, and what I have learned since and mold it into my future?  Can I stay positive in light of a horrible, nasty world?  Can I logically and compassionately push the envelope?  And then this begs the question, why me?  Why could I not have just married, pumped out a few kids, and never questioned my place in this world? 

I always had a nagging voice in the back of my head in my experience with animals, my entire life.  I just felt that some of the things I saw and knew about were not right, not ok.  People who claimed to love animals treated them in less that loving ways.  So I guess, I just answered my own question.  I questioned my place in this world because I was not going to continue the cycle.  For when I tapped into the moral universe, I figured out that when something does not feel right, it most likely is wrong.  However, the lawyer in me knows that it is not black and white, right and wrong, EVER.  So hopefully, I can balance the dreamer, the shaker with the logical, manipulate-the-rules-in-your-favor, lawyer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment